[Cialug] Distro choice

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jan 28 22:22:25 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> It is common for novice Linux users to jump distros and versions trying
> to fix issues when the issues are generally caused by inexperience.  It
> would be best, IMO, for you to just stick with Ubuntu 8.04 and get
> everything working.  It might not be quite as user-friendly as 8.10, but
> it's very close and you'll learn more resolving issues than you will
> continuously installing different distros.
>
> If you get stuck with 8.04, you can ask for help here or on the Ubuntu
> help forums.  Just ignore everyone who says "upgrade to
> 8.10/OpenSUSE/Fedora/etc".  You'll be better off picking something
> (anything) and sticking with it.

I think this is an OK statement for someone who needs the benefits of
the LTS release, such as corporate clients. For a typical desktop or
home user or a Linux enthusiast being stuck on older versions can be
very frustrating. (case in point, it makes it harder to get support) I
encourage people to use the newest stable release. For example, if
you'd use the previous LTS version you'd be stuck on Firefox 1.5 until
Firefox 3.0 was out (8.04 LTS had FF3).

They really do get better with each release. Just my opinion.

--
Matthew Nuzum