[Cialug] Distro choice

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Jan 28 20:27:10 CST 2009

Tom,

It is common for novice Linux users to jump distros and versions trying
to fix issues when the issues are generally caused by inexperience.  It
would be best, IMO, for you to just stick with Ubuntu 8.04 and get
everything working.  It might not be quite as user-friendly as 8.10, but
it's very close and you'll learn more resolving issues than you will
continuously installing different distros.

If you get stuck with 8.04, you can ask for help here or on the Ubuntu
help forums.  Just ignore everyone who says "upgrade to
8.10/OpenSUSE/Fedora/etc".  You'll be better off picking something
(anything) and sticking with it.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com> 01/28/09 8:14 PM >>>
Do you think it is worth while to try to download the 8.10 version of
Ubuntu?  I'm not familiar with the Dell laptops referenced below.  I am
using an HP Omnibook 6000.