[Cialug] Pressing a button remotely

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Jan 28 16:16:08 CST 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> Yes doing it yourself is part of the fun.  And Parallel printer
> ports are harder to find these days (no, I don't want your old
> Pentium)

Your serial port, or your USB->serial port, has some current available
on the flow control pins. It's not a lot of power -- a typical max is
50ma per pin -- but since you're only looking to drive a solid-state,
low-output-current relay it should be sufficient (if you size the
components correctly). And you could hijack the USB line for more
power if you're using a USB->serial adapter and were willing to build
a slightly more complicated circuit.

	Zach