[Cialug] Pressing a button remotely

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:39:26 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com>wrote:

> A lazy man had to drive to a location (twice in a week) to open a garage
> door to receive a shipment.  I, er, the lazy man that is, already had video
> surveillance of that location.  So all the lazy man really would have needed
> to do was open the garage door remotely and watch to make sure the shipment
> was delivered and the door was closed (or do it himself) when the delivery
> people left.

Is there a PC already there you could hook up to?  Are you streaming the
video feed over the intertubes?

If there is not a PC already but you do have a net hookup, you might
consider one of those teensy linux boards with ethernet + general purpose
I/O pins.  Matt Nuzum (et al.) might have opinions on which ones are best.

- Nathan