[Cialug] Distro choice? Was: Reloaded Debian

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jan 28 13:22:41 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I don't install anything after the reload and browse to the www.kcci.com site I get a box with "Click here to download plugin" in the middle.  You are correct that I can browse the rest of the page without any seeming problems.  It is just missing something that I would normally see when using a Windows browser to visit this site.
>
> Is this what you mean?

Hi, Debian is not well known to be the most "easy to get your feet
wet" with distribution. If you don't mind me tossing out a biased
suggestion, I'd like to suggest trying out Ubuntu. It's closely
related to Debian and makes a lot of the common "new to LInux" tasks
quite easy. Pretty much all of the software you can use on Debian is
available for Ubuntu since Ubuntu pulls from debian every few months.
As a matter of fact, numerous Debian developers are employed by
Canonical, the sponsors of Ubuntu. It also has some partner software
from vendors such as vmware, adobe and sun so things like java, flash
and etc. installation is quite easy.

Just an idea.
--
Matthew Nuzum