[Cialug] Small Linux Distros

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jan 16 14:44:24 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a small distro to permanently install on a machine.  Are any of the small distros Debian-based.  Can anyone recommend one?

How small are you thinking? DSL is debian based. It's 50M. For a
console based system the last time I did an install of Debian it was
pretty small. Ubuntu Server is also pretty compact. Also, I know this
streches the concept of compact a little, but with the "create a usb
startup disk" feature in Ubuntu you can make a full desktop with
persistance on a 1GB thumb drive.

Saw this with some distros I'd not seen before:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/01/11/20-awesome-free-os-downloads-that-arent-windows-7/

--
Matthew Nuzum