[Cialug] Slackware

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:36:01 CST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Matt Patterson <matt at usrlocal.com> wrote:
> I'm still running slackware on a few home machines. If you like getting
> under the hood and seeing how things work, slackware is a great distro!

If you *really* want to get under the hood then
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ is the way to go.  To continue
David's analogy: LFS makes slackware look like child's play.

I wouldn't call it a distribution, though, since distributing a
pre-built LFS system kinda defeats the point.  However, if you want to
write a distro and your own package management system then LFS gives
you the most virgin system to start with.

Slackware was my first real install back in 98 and my fondness of it
is probably why I'm stuck on gentoo because I found keeping a
slackware system up to date to be more time than I'd rather spend on
it.  I suppose gentoo is like the methadone for those who *love*
slackware.

Colin