[Cialug] Open Source Message Board Suggestions

Dave Crouse crouse at usalug.net
Wed Jan 7 00:08:37 CST 2009

I've used phpBB for over 6 years.  It's really not any "worse" at
security  than the others, it does have quite a large userbase, which
puts a huge red bullseye on the project.  The phpBB3 version is very
nice. I'm in the process of converting a few of my sites over to it
now. A lot more features built into it.  It was extremely easy to
setup as well.  Keeping informed on security issues for web facing
apps, is just good common sense ;) I usually add my own "layer" of
security onto it anyway. Stuff like Apache/htaccess security for the
administration pages, easy to implement, and well worth the extra
effort. phpBB's security is alot better now than years past, but you
can't be too careful.

As for using it on a public site, I have been for years.

Dave Crouse