[Cialug] And now for something...completely different.

Jerry Heiselman jerry at heiselman.com
Sat Jan 3 19:53:16 CST 2009

I've got the Blackberry 8830 World Edition. It works very well and
doesn't appear to be crippled in anyway. The 3G network is very nice
and has great coverage in Des Moines. Not as fast as it could be, but
better than 1x.

The phone itself is nice, but this one isn't really a consumer model,
so its missing the camera and the headphone jack is the standard one
for mobile phones and not a standard 3.5mm jack. That's quite annoying
since it supports stereo output and has a decent MP3 decoder.

Syncing really sucks on Linux and Mac. I assume that the Windows
syncing works better since that is where RIM spends all their money. I
do use Google Apps for my domain and the calendar/contacts syncing
works really well. Gmail through the Blackberry service isn't very
good though, so I would recommend the Gmail application if you do use
their services. Otherwise, IMAP and POP3 work just great.

---
Jerry H

--
Jerry