[Cialug] And now for something...completely different.

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sat Jan 3 18:43:40 CST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Tim Berneman <tim at netconx.net> wrote:

> I really like the HTC6800 because
> of the touch screen, the bigger sliding horizontal keyboard, and syncing my
> contacts and notes from my email program and it's WiFi ability.

If you like the HTC6800 don't get it from US Cellular. The HTC6800
isn't a bad phone but US Cellular has essentially crippled it because
they only have Windows Mobile 6.0, not 6.1, and the internal GPS is
not accessible to user-level programs (presumably the GPS still works
for E911 use).  I think both Sprint and Verizon allow the HTC6800 to
be upgraded to WM 6.1 and enable the GPS.

My other big problem with the HTC6800 is that it's a bit quiet when
using it as a phone.

The HTC6800 is my work cell phone.  My personal cell phone I think I'm
going to hold off upgrading until I can get an Android- or
OpenMoko-based phone.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"