[Cialug] cheap dell linux netbook

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Feb 27 15:01:30 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> Remember 5 years ago when a $500 notebook sounded like wishful thinking?
>
> 512 MB, sounds just a little tight.  But then the machine I have Xubuntu running on with 512 MB probably has a much slower processor.
>

>> http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/27/dells-inspiron-mini-9-drops
> -to-a-delicious-199/

For under $100 you can add a much nicer SSD and up the ram to 2GB.
http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/SPD/runcore-pro-16gb-mini-pcie-pci-e-ssd-solid-state-drive-for-dell-inspiron-mini-9---restocking-soon-runcore-pro-16gb-mini-pcie-pci-e-ssd-solid-state-drive-for-dell-inspiron-mini-9--800008E6-1225426254.jsp

The problem with 512MB of RAM on the netbook is that (I think, not
positive) there's no swap.

I think that the $199 - $249 price range is going to get more action
in the netbook space. I'm seeing videos from conferences where ARM
people are demoing 1.5cm thick netbooks with 9" screens and 8 hours of
battery life that will target $249 and under price range.

I've seen a few screens that are higher res than the 1024x600 common
on most netbooks. As sad as this is to say, webkinz requires res at
least 1024x768 or, if you hit the F11 key, about 1000x685. A lot of
people are attracted to these netbooks for kid computers, and I'm all
for that. But I think a lot of kids will be disappointed with them
unless the higher res screen becomes common. It'd be nice if the
screens was 1280x720 or 1280x800.

--
Matthew Nuzum