[Cialug] OT: safe/reliable fuel-efficient cars.

Major Stubble major.stubble at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:14:01 CST 2009

I'm surprised that you don't want to go with another Elantra. I've
been driving mine for three years now. I'm about to hit 60k miles, and
have had no problems that I can blame on the car (though I will blame
the pot hole my wife hit in Cedar Rapids - worst roads ever).

I do 60 miles (highway) a day, and average 36 mpg. My wife gets about
30, so it is definitely based on how you drive. I find it a little
cramped for long drives, but my 6'4" frame has a lot of leg - so there
are very few cars that fit me comfortably.

I don't think there is a better car for the 12k I spent (new). If you
are looking at the Honda Fit, I would try to wait until Earth Day.
Honda is releasing their remodled Insight hybrid. Supposedly, if you
utilize their eco-assist to modify your driving behavior, you can get
50 mpg. It's supposed to be under 20k as well.

Back to the Elantra, what about it don't you like that has you looking
elsewhere?

-Nick

--
Nathaniel N. Petersen