[Cialug] Specs for a VM machine?

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon Feb 23 15:00:56 CST 2009

Vmware player runs pretty smooth on my laptop, has the 2ghz Core2Duo and
4gb of RAM. My host OS is Linux. I've mostly used it for booting other
Linux distributions for testing.

I'd get as much RAM as your PC and / or OS will support. RAM is very
cheap these days.

Most of the newer processors have the VTProc extensions, but be sure to
check first. I was dissapointed to find out that my AMD X2 processor in
my PC with a Socket939 does not support it.

I don't know that you "need" a Quad Core processor... but I've been
doing some research on building a new PC for home, and some of the Intel
Core2Quad processors are available for a very attractive price compared
to the Core2Duo. One thing I'd beware of - some of the cheap package
deals for the first generation AMD Phenom Quad Core processors look very
attractive, but those processors had a bug in them... so hold out for
one of the newer ones, or stick with the Intel processors.

I may have to try out the new VirtualBox that has the hardware
acceleration support. I'm looking forward to the day when I can just run
Windows games in a VM instead of having to reboot. From what I've heard,
it isn't really there yet, but should be in the next year or so.

-dc