[Cialug] ACM - Association for Computing Machinery

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Feb 4 11:28:23 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> Hi, I got a letter in the mail inviting me to join ACM.
> [...]
> At $84 that seems like a bargain but I really don't know anything
> about these guys. Can anyone tell me about them?

The ACM is definitely legit... I was a member back when I was in
college and even attended one conference they sponsored.  The ACM is
oriented more at the "science" side of computer science, so their
publications are going to be oriented more towards research and theory
rather than practical applications.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"