[Cialug] podcast downloaders

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Wed Feb 4 09:30:55 CST 2009

ewenix at raccoon.com wrote:
> On the horizon we can see devices that will do what *we* want them to do.
> Phone, wifi, media player/sharing (sans DRM), bluetooth, email, and an
> SDK for anything else you want it to do.  I'm waiting for the day that I
> actually agree with the sprint CEO on his statement "can you believe we
> still call these phones?"

Those types of devices are already here. The iPhone has everything you
mention above. The iPhone is basically a computer with a GSM chipset
running a slimmed down version of OSX. If you prefer Linux/Android then
the T-Mobile G1 also has all those features.

> I wireless sync to my computer, which was a big selling point for me personally.

Wireless sync sounds cool but you still need to plug it in to charge.
Connect a USB cable and you can sync and charge at the same time. One
thing I enjoy about the iPhone/iPod Touch is that you can download
content directly over WiFi to your device (no syncing required).

Eric