[Cialug] Firefox extensions for novice users

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 15:45:38 CST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> What Firefox extensions do you folks recommend to help novice Linux
> users?
>
> I install AdBlock+ on every Firefox installation that I use, but most of
> the other extensions that I use are a bit overly technical for the
> average person.  For example, as much as I rely on NoScript, I wouldn't
> even consider training a novice user to use such a thing.
>
> I'm installing AdBlock+, LongURL and WebOfTrust.  I'm considering
> CookieSafe and BetterPrivacy, but think they might be a bit overly
> complex.
>
> Are there any favorites out there that I should be considering?
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
>  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
>  515-245-7701

For novices of linux specifically, or any novices of firefox?
For example, I find PDF Download useful on Windows w/ Firefox because
I dislike Acrobat loading inside the browser, but do not have that
problem on linux. (Yes, I know. Disable the Adobe plugin. I still like
PDF Download.)
Of course, everything is a sliding scale. One novice may be 'higher'
up the scale than another. Anyway, the best extensions are whatever
match up to their interests. Here are a few. (I'll try to avoid what
others have mentioned, and try to keep it short):

Bookworm? - Book Burro: It saves you money on books, and can be taught
to the simplest of users.
Newshound? - Morning Coffee, Read It Later
DictionarySearch: highlight something and look it up in on Dictionary.com
FoxyTunes and Forecastfox are popular for obvious groups. I like
Forecastfox Enhanced for bigger radar images during riding weather.
Guys at the CUG (more down the sliding scale?) like Roboform, Xmarks &
StumbleUpon, for what it's worth.
Ship a lot? - TrackPackage
More general functionality: Linkification: Tim's 'take me to this URL'
+ more, SmartFind, gTranslate.
More eyecandy, less function; Cooliris, Tabprogressbar, Tabscope,
Download StatusBar

Don

ps. I think the Mediacom <-> CIALUG list link is broken again. The
last thing I got there was the 'Mint Linux' thread. This is just an
FYI, I'm not expecting anyone outside of Mediacom to fix it. We all
know what the situation is.