[Cialug] That "plus / minus" thingie

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sun Dec 20 13:29:38 CST 2009

On Dec 20, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Josh More wrote:

> Best just to buy the type of media that your systems can use.  It's
> likely not worth the effort to try to hack things for a 50 cent disk.
> For what it's worth, I've run into many things that can't read +, but
> nothing that can't read -.

Minus is a much older standard. Plus has some advantages in terms of speed and error recovery, but it wasn't standardized until about 5 year later (2002 I think) so fewer things support it.

On the other hand, that means that most devices that can do Plus can also do Minus -- I would guess the device you have that does Plus media will also do Minus media, so with the right disk you should be able to make something that works in both systems.

	Zach