[Cialug] Git 'philosophy'

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Dec 18 10:43:34 CST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:

> On 12/18/2009 10:15 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> > I had originally thought that having my OWN 'working' repository would
> > allow me to share environments between office, laptop,&  netbook, but git
> > does not seem to like two repositories (at least I can't get it working).
> >
> > So, the question - is maintiaing a 'work' repository and a 'master'
> > respository a valid topology?
>
> The way I've seen this done is that you would create your own branch.
> Then you would push your commits to your branch. You can then push/pull
> to the master branch.

Yes, at my company we use bzr which is a dvcs like git and uses the same
philosophy as git.

Branching is very simple so you should use branches with abandon. For
example,

bzr branch trunk bug1532

cd bug1532 && fix && merge back to trunk when ready

If you need to share your branch with someone else (or a different computer)
then push it up to the server but not to trunk. When its ready to be merged
into trunk then you merge it.

Launchpad.net, our online colaborative development tool, is built on this
philosophy as well. So is github. Anyone can branch code, anyone can publish
their branch, anyone can merge from one branch to another. You propose a
branch for merging when it's ready.

There's no cost for branching and merging unless you leave your branch for
so long that the code bases deviate dramatically.

--
Matthew Nuzum