[Cialug] Git 'philosophy'

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Fri Dec 18 10:38:31 CST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:15:08AM -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Does anyone use Git in a consulting environment? Here is the situation:
>
> > I work from two or three different machines, and need to maintain a
> repository for my 'work'
> > There are other possible developers, so I have already setup a 'master'
> repository at the client.
>
> I had originally thought that having my OWN 'working' repository would
> allow me to share environments between office, laptop, & netbook, but git
> does not seem to like two repositories (at least I can't get it working).
>
> So, the question - is maintiaing a 'work' repository and a 'master'
> respository a valid topology?

In my understanding, each copy of the git repository is completely
stand-alone, and unshared. You share things by pushing or pulling
stuff to/from other repositories. So you can have a repository on
your office machine, your laptop and your netbook, you just need
to move things around between the different repositories.

Eventually I'm going to push for us using git at work. I think the
two guidlines I'm going to use are:

- Everyone should make sure that their individual repositories
  are adequately backed up, so they don't lose their individual
  work.
- Everything has to be pushed to a 'canonical' repository, and
  builds of production software must be first pulled from that
  repository. This makes sure that there's a designated
  location that stuff ends up at eventually.

In your case, I think you'd want to:

- Create your own 'canonical' repository. You push/pull things
  from that into/out of your laptop, netbook, desktop, etc.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/