[Cialug] DNS-related Question

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 17:19:25 CST 2009

I'm doing some googling on this topic, but wanted to run this use case
past the group to see if you had any ideas.

We are using OpenGoo to serve as a master project management service
on our intranet. Apparently, the authors of OpenGoo have configured
OpenGoo so you have to hardcode a root URL. Now, most of the time, we
want to access it through our intranet, but we have configured our
router so that our home IP's have permission to connect to our
intranet server to access OpenGoo. But the problem is that I am not
sure how set things up so that I can set up a URL like my-domain.com
such that when we are in the office, the computer knows it is a LAN
IP, but when we are at home, it is our office's public IP. OpenGoo
wants one URL to insert. I learned this the hard way when I hard coded
the IP address as the root URL. When we connect to the server, we
can't get past the login because it is returning a local IP address as
part of the web address which cannot be resolved over the Internet.
(Make sense what I am explaining?)

One idea I had was to set up a subdomain based on our website that
points to our public IP. Then try to figure out how to set up and
configure a LAN DNS server that our office computers use and use that
DNS server to intercept our request for the subdomain and substitute a
LAN address instead of the actual public IP address. But I don't want
it mess up any other subdomain for our domain (www, mail, etc.) But
that seems overkill for one IP address. Is there a simpler way?  All
of the clients are running Mac OS X. The server is running Ubuntu 9.04.

Thanks,

Stuart