[Cialug] Firefox extensions for novice users

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Dec 17 12:46:25 CST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Josh More
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

> What Firefox extensions do you folks recommend to help novice Linux
> users?
>
> I install AdBlock+ on every Firefox installation that I use, but most of
> the other extensions that I use are a bit overly technical for the
> average person.  For example, as much as I rely on NoScript, I wouldn't
> even consider training a novice user to use such a thing.
>
> I'm installing AdBlock+, LongURL and WebOfTrust.  I'm considering
> CookieSafe and BetterPrivacy, but think they might be a bit overly
> complex.

Personally, I don't like adblock because it alters the way websites work.
Therefore sometimes people will get an experience surfing the web
contradictory to what they expect, and because they didn't "opt in" to using
it they're not prepared to deal with or even comprehend the disadvantages.
Flash Block is one I like but would also include in this category of
something I would not enable for someone by default.

However, to answer your question, the most loved extensions I've helped
people with are

 * Speed dial (an opera or safari like homepage)
 * XMarks for backing up and synchronizing bookmarks, and optionally,
passwords.

--
Matthew Nuzum