[Cialug] OT: Macbook for sale

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Tue Dec 15 17:48:52 CST 2009

I'd guess they were 9mm or .45 rounds. Shooting computer equipment with
handgun rounds makes more dramatic ragged holes like that, where the
higher velocity rifle rounds pass right through like there's nothing
there and leave a clean hole.

She's really lucky that they missed the hard drive - as long as there
was no shock damage (which there well may be), she should be able to
recover everything.

I agree with Ken, except in many ways we're already there. Your laptop
can be seized and held by customs when you cross the borders at their
discretion. The current search and seizure laws in many states allow
them to hold your property indefinitely, and sometimes force you to pay
impound fees to get it back, even if you aren't charged with anything,
or found to be innocent.

If I were traveling overseas with a laptop, I would install a clean
drive and only put what you really need on it. A spare drive is pretty
cheap.

-dc