[Cialug] Coding Horror

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 14 08:52:28 CST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Dave Hala Jr <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
> I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the people/companies on this list that
> make money from their sites have a backup(s).

How much are we betting here? I think I'll take you up* on that wager. :-)

*assuming "backup" means recent, complete and can be restored from.

Remember, human nature dictates that if it's not fully automated then
sometimes it's not going to happen. How many people, even techies and
geeks like us, have an automated backup solution for their website and
database from their hosting provider's server? I suspect more than 1%
of the professionals who outsource their hosting, and even more than
1% of those who have their own servers, would lose some data if they
had to rebuild their website *right now* entirely from backups.

Wow, just in proof reading this I realize that means even test
restores should be automated or they're also probably not going to get
verified at regular intervals. The last time I tested my backups was
the last time I needed to restore. And it was two stressful days and I
never did successfully restore my mailman configuration. :-(

/me goes to check his backups now

--
Matthew Nuzum