[Cialug] Coding Horror

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Sun Dec 13 22:57:00 CST 2009

I can't imagine not having a local copy of any website I'm working on
handy...  Even with my web server in the next room over, I've got a copy
local to my desktop.  Luckily, I'm not to the point yet where I have
gone to saving all the content in a database (sometimes it helps not to
know SQL?).  Our gaming clan uses vBulletin, which is a forum package
that saves everything (including images) in a MySQL database, plus all
of our admin, stats, and ban data is saved to a MySQL database, so
knowing how to dump an SQL database to a file backup is pretty important
(I really hope our database guy does this, come to think of it).  I
believe most cpanel-style web host control panels allow you to click a
button to download a backup of all your databases that are included with
the hosting of your website, but that's just a guess since I've never
had access to any of those panels before.  The TCAdmin game server
control panel would allow up to download backups of the database that
saved all the information bout the different servers that were being
administered by it, but we no longer feel the need to pay for TCAdmin
anymore.