[Cialug] Coding Horror

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Sun Dec 13 22:45:35 CST 2009

I believe that the issue here is not keeping copies of code (which all
developers should be good at), but keeping copies of content that has
been generated over the years.  Even among system administrators, I know
very few people who are good at that.

Even I only backup my various sites (web site, blog, wiki, livejournal,
twitter, facebook, linkedin, super secret mailing lists) on a monthly
basis... and I'm the only one I know who regularly backs up third party
sites.  I know I should do better, but really, it's just not as much of
a priority as generating new content.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Jeff Davis <me at digitaljeff.com> 12/13/09 10:37 PM >>>
Ken, I agree with you for the most part.
The longer you are in the IT field as either a programmer/developer or
sysadmin,
I think you tend to develop some of those cross-trained skills.   Even
then you
will always be a little better at one, depending on what your talent
leans toward.

I would expect a more green programmer to maybe not have learned to keep
their own
copy of the code, but someone who has been coding for several years
should know better.
That obviously will depend on your environment somewhat.  If you work
for a
mid to large company your job might be compartmentalized enough that you
don't even have the opportunity (on the job) to expand into some of
those areas.
Many of those folks will only learn those other skills if they're doing
hobby IT or freelance work.

-Jeff