[Cialug] distro for ibook

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Mon Dec 7 14:07:58 CST 2009

I'm sure that's the way you feel, and that's fine and all, but there
are a couple things I feel I should point out about this mini-rant:

Unzip (and zip) is a function built into the OS. Just double click on
it and it'll unzip for you. Are there paid alternatives that add
features? Yes. Do you need them to be able to unzip a program? No.
iirc, the zip and unzip commands present on Linux are also available
on the default install command line (though it might only be if you
install the dev tools). I could be wrong on this point, but even if
they are missing, that brings me to point 2:

Installing Mac Ports brings a vast majority of the set of F/OSS tools
to you via the simple command "port install <pkg>" (much like apt-get)
and if you really want apt-get, use fink. Either way, you have both
the F/OSS toolset and the proprietary toolset that you can pay for,
it's all your option. I tend to prefer doing both in one OS.

I also have certain tools that just aren't available to me on any
other OS that are essential parts of my workflow, so it's my choice.

I will admit, that it's been a long time since I really gave Linux a
shot on the desktop, but for me, I've been quite happy with the
balance that OSX gives me. Is it perfect? Hell no. Is Linux?

--
Bryan "ka-klick" Baker
Singer/Songwriter
ka-klick at ka-klick.com