[Cialug] OT: In home video distribution

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Dec 1 10:00:32 CST 2009

How proprietary - or what brand even, is the DVR?

We seem to be lacking standards for how to do what you want to do.  Lee's response may be the industry solution but it was cryptic to me.

Are the TVs already in place?  We are starting to see TVs (Samsung, LG) and Blu-ray players with Ethernet jacks for internet video (YouTube) and  Netflix.

TiVo DVRs allow you to move programs between machines - still requires a DVR at each television.  Then there are media extenders and stream players like popcorn hour and the Western digital device.

The biggest problem, IMHO is not only are there technical issues but also DRM and copyright issues so that even if a thing is technically possible the hardware may make it prohibitive.  I have a friend who bought a "mother throw-down" HP Windows Media system for HD and because of these types of political-DRM issues never was able to take advantage of all the audio and HD technologies the box offered.  He spent a lot of money and time trying to do it legally and the "right" way.  He is switching to iTunes and AppleTV with EyeTV.

Hijacking the analog output of the DVR may be the least troublesome solution in the end.

-Nate