[Cialug] Wow.

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Sat Aug 22 00:31:25 CDT 2009

Tim Wilson wrote:

> I bit my tongue after the original post, but clearly, this is not going
> to die.  There is a HUGE difference between a vi/emacs holy war and the
> original statement.  The statement was very inflammatory.  The statement
> basically accused a large section of the country of eating babies.
> That, sir, is quite different than what editor is the best editor.  I
> wonder what the response would've been if MSNBC had reported it instead
> of FOX News.

By now I wish I'd bit my tongue, too. :)

I took the remark as intended humor, and as if transposed from the
context of Swift's 1729 satirical essay "A Modest Proposal" to the Sears
web page.*

Recalling the number of times Godwin's Law was invoked in various usenet
discussions of vi and emacs, and how ridiculously inflamed some people
became, /I/ see a rather marked similarity.

-----

* Anyone who managed to sneak through school without reading Swift's
short essay can find it at

    http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

The literature/history-impaired may find the footnote reassuring, and
I'm sure there's a definition of "satire" in every dictionary.

FWIW, I don't get my news (or my opinions) from either Fox or MSNBC.

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/