[Cialug] Wow.

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Fri Aug 21 19:54:27 CDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Morris Dovey <mrdovey at iedu.com> wrote:

> Jeff Davis wrote:
>
>> Todd Walton wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,541221,00.html?test=latestnews
>>>
>>> Never had it myself, but I hear it's a delicacy among the Republican
>>> crowd...
>>>

>> It's rarely a good idea to post comments like that.
>>
>> 1) You will (and have) offended people on the list.
>> 2) The list is archived, and 5 years from now you may be looking for a
>> job or something
>>    and Hiring Manager Patty googles your name, sees this, and thinks
>> "Not such a good fit in our company."
>>

> I reluctantly agree, as some readers may be young and impressionable, still
> lacking the experience and knowledge that would allow them to exercise
> capable judgment and rational discretion between intended humor and serious
> declamation.
>
> It is, of course, extraordinarily difficult to engage with nearly any
> sizable group of people without rubbing /someone's/ fur the wrong way on
> /some/ subject. The vi/emacs holy wars are a prime historical example of the
> idiocy of blind polarization. Fortunately, most of the participants
> survived, matured, and moved on to more productive discourse.

I bit my tongue after the original post, but clearly, this is not going to
die.  There is a HUGE difference between a vi/emacs holy war and the
original statement.  The statement was very inflammatory.  The statement
basically accused a large section of the country of eating babies.  That,
sir, is quite different than what editor is the best editor.  I wonder what
the response would've been if MSNBC had reported it instead of FOX News.

> There /are/ those who go through life actively looking for things to which
> they might take offense, and they'll probably always be with us. Without
> doubt I would manage to offend /someone's/ sensibilities with a simple
> statement that my preferred programming language for the work I do is
> ISO/IEC Standard strictly-conforming C with POSIX extension use carefully
> isolated in separate and clearly identified TU's. <sigh>
>
> Five decades of software/silicon/mechanical development have convinced me
> that if Patty's employers allow her to hire on any basis other than the
> best-available expertise to get the work done, then the candidate's
> interests will be better-served elsewhere. It's that simple - and yes, it
> does require the exercise of a certain amount of courage.
>

> Morris Dovey
> DeSoto Solar
> DeSoto, Iowa USA
> http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/