[Cialug] extra servers

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Sun Aug 16 19:40:40 CDT 2009

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> Hello, for a few years I've been helping my friend manage his servers
> colocated in Miami (he gives me free rackspace for helping ;-). We've
> had some reliability problems with that datacenter and are moving the
> servers to Iowa so that I can have more hands on access.
>
> He has a good bit more server capacity than he needs. In order to
> offset the costs of bandwidth we'd like to rent out a few (3-4) of the
> servers and I just wondered if anyone here is interested in picking up
> one or would be willing to spread the word around.
>
> $175 /mo * (flexible, see below)
> 64bit Dual Xeon or Dual Core Xeon at aprox 3.0GHz
> 4G of RAM
> Dual 250GB RAID 1 drives (brand new drives will be installed in IA)
>
> Prices are flexible based on bandwidth usage, so if you just need an
> additional server running a lightly used service that price can come
> down.
>
> Email me at newz at bearfruit.org if you're interested.

What sort of bandwidth are we talking about being included in the price
of $175/mo?  I'm part of a gaming clan, and we run stats for 6 source
engine games on our web VPS, and they are always pissed at us for eating
tons of CPU.  I'd have to get in contact with our founder or the SQL guy
(both have root access to the VPS, which I don't) to figure out how much
bandwidth we use in a month, but the extra $80/mo might be worth the CPU
we would be able to use on a dedicated box.