[Cialug] Noob needs help.

Jerry Heiselman jerry at heiselman.com
Sun Aug 16 15:12:35 CDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Rob Miller <rob at dotcomservices.com> wrote:

> We switched from Qwest to Mediacom and the technician hooked up one of our
> computers to access the Internet.  However, none of the other computers on
> our home network can find the Internet.  I've tried what I know to do and I
> get a message that the other computers cannot renew the IP address.  Should
> I turn off all the computers, then the two hubs, then the Mediacom modem and
> then turn them back on?  Mediacom first then hubs then computers?  Thanks.
> Rob

By default, Mediacom only allows one computer online.  You have to lease
additional IP addresses for each extra computer you would like to get
online.  Your other option would be to go buy a home router and have it
attached to the modem.  Then, each computer gets an IP from the router and
proxies their connections through it.  The one drawback with this method is
that if you play games or do anything that typically requires a direct
connection, then it takes a bit of work to get it setup.

--
Jerry