[Cialug] Windows Share Problem

Aaron Korver aaron.korver at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 13:49:28 CDT 2009

Hi all,
I have an interesting problem that deals with a Window share and a linux
mount.

We are exposing some folders on a Windows 2003 server and then have added an
entry to mount them in the fstab on our SUSE server.  The problem is that
the Windows 2003 server marks the shared folder as disabled if there is no
activity in the folder (this is strange, but it is what our Windows admin's
are telling me).  When this happens, the linux mount can no longer write to
the folder and the only way to get the connection back is to reload fstab.

So, my question to you guru's out there are:
1) Is this really the right way to be doing this?
2) If it is the right way to do it, any suggestions on fixing the mount
breaking?

Thanks,
Aaron Korver