[Cialug] Jaunty?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Apr 24 13:37:23 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM, David Champion <dave at dchamp.net> wrote:
> The mirror thing is nice, if you can get people to mirror for you (and
> Ubuntu has the momentum to be able to do that now), just seems to me
> that if it were done right, a distributed P2P system would be lot more
> efficient, and you wouldn't have to worry about having one mirror more
> overloaded while other mirrors sit idle.

Yeah, I've thought about it often. The problem is that most people
don't have p2p software on their pc. :-( It just doesn't work to say,
"Want to get Ubuntu? Great, first follow these 11 steps then click the
link below..."

It's just a little bit ironic that for Linux users it really would be
a one step process since BT software is installed by default. But
ubuntu.com is visited mostly by Windows users so I have to cater to
them.

My mandate from the very beginning has been to make it as easy as
possible to download Ubuntu. This translates into huge cost savings
since the alternative is ShipIt, the free CD mailing service we run.

This has me thinking... the bandwidth capacity of the US post office
is staggering, even though the latency is high.

--
Matthew Nuzum