[Cialug] Oracle buys Sun...

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Tue Apr 21 17:01:33 CDT 2009

Chris Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
>>
>>> "Depending upon how Oracle handles it, MySQL could be a minor player inside
>>> the company, or it could be set adrift."
>>>
>> Seems kind of silly.  MySQL is a pretty strong brand name, and a good
>> path to moving up to Oracle's database if they're smart about it.
>>
>> --
>> Todd
>>

> But, controlling MySQL doesn't really do them that much good. Selling
> services (which is where Oracle and IBM are, I think) makes lots of
> sense. RedHat can sell Linux without employing Linus. MySQL is a
> commodity, and Oracle doesn't need to spend resources on it for MySQL
> in order to sell services around it, when necessary.
>
> Chris

Just got an announcement from Oracle for an Internet Seminar "Comparing
Oracle to MySQL". Here's the description:

"As the global economy slows down, companies continue to look at
alternative technologies that they feel are more cost effective and will
save money on their bottom line. Learn why choosing an Oracle technology
platform lowers the total cost of ownership for your company during this
live, interactive one hour program. Tony Tarone, the Director of
Operations at Cedar Document Technologies, will discuss how he gained a
reliable, scalable, secure, and cost effective platform by moving from
MySQL to Oracle"

Doesn't sound to me much like a company that's planning to leverage its
newly acquired product...

-dc