[Cialug] Oracle buys Sun...

Chris Freeman cwfreeman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:19:40 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
>> "Depending upon how Oracle handles it, MySQL could be a minor player inside
>> the company, or it could be set adrift."
>
> Seems kind of silly.  MySQL is a pretty strong brand name, and a good
> path to moving up to Oracle's database if they're smart about it.
>
> --
> Todd

But, controlling MySQL doesn't really do them that much good. Selling
services (which is where Oracle and IBM are, I think) makes lots of
sense. RedHat can sell Linux without employing Linus. MySQL is a
commodity, and Oracle doesn't need to spend resources on it for MySQL
in order to sell services around it, when necessary.

Chris