[Cialug] New desktop ?

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon Apr 20 16:28:36 CDT 2009

Terry A. Haimann wrote:
> I am wanting to upgrade my desktop at home and am considering an
> inexpensive quad processor.  Is there any hardware devices I should try
> to avoid on these machines.  When I install should I stay 32 bit or
> install the 64 bit version.  I am most comfortable with Fedora, is there
> any other distributions that I should be considering.

To answer Terry's original question... I was recently looking into
building a new PC, I did some research and had determined that for my
purposes (replacing my gaming PC) I was going to build an Intel
Core2quad, hadn't decided on the motherboard.

For your distro, try a couple of the Live CD's and see what you like. As
I mentioned before, if you like Fedora but want a bit more bling, try
Mandriva. Ubuntu is OK, but you don't want to be like everyone else, do
you? ;)

-dc