[Cialug] New desktop ?

Nick Fox nfox at foxmediasystems.com
Sun Apr 19 23:15:04 CDT 2009

Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> Paul Gray wrote:
>
>> Kevin C. Smith wrote:

>>> I use Ubuntu and use apt-get via CLI exclusively. I've never broken a thing.
>>>
>> Two things that work(*) in CLI under Ubuntu desktop, but not server:
>>
>> dpkg-reconfigure libpam-ldap  (doesn't work)
>> dpkg-reconfigure libnss-ldap  (ditto)
>>

>> (*) My definition of "work" is two-fold here: "work" as in "the Debian way" and
>> "work" as in functionally does what it's supposed to do.
>>

> That seems extremely odd. It should be the same package never mind
> server or desktop edition. dpkg-reconfigure should have worked the same
> on both via CLI. Of course, doesn't work here is defined but I still
> have not idea what we're talking about.

You may want to have a look at the dpkg log for the packages if this is
not working. There could be a debhelper bug in the package that appears
when built against the server kernel. There are several differences in
the compiled kernel between the desktop versions (-generic, -amd64,
-i386 ect) and the -server kernel. These differences can sometimes
produce many oddities with different packages. However,
dpkg-reconfigure, apt-get install --reinstall will produce similar
results. apt-get is perfectly acceptable for installing packages from
repos. dpkg -i will install local packages similarly. The reason for
these results is they both rely on the package's installation files. In
most cases if there is some type of user input during the configuration,
this is delt with with debhelper/debconf and pre/postinst scripts. So
what does this alll mean for the question after I finish my ramblings?
It doesn't make any bit of difference whether or not you use apt or
dpkg, your results for the installation will always be the same because
its based on the package.

--
Nick Fox

Fox Media Systems, LLC