[Cialug] New desktop ?

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 15:21:40 CDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Terry A. Haimann
<terry at haimannonline.com> wrote:
> I am wanting to upgrade my desktop at home and am considering an
> inexpensive quad processor.  Is there any hardware devices I should try
> to avoid on these machines.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  What kind of hardware devices are
you thinking of?

> When I install should I stay 32 bit or install the 64 bit version.

64 bit.  I've been running 64 bit for a couple of weeks now.  I've run
into one small problem that I believe may be relevant.  When I start
my computer, Firefox thinks it has no plugins.  I restart Firefox and
voila, there's Flash.  But Adobe has a working 64 bit Flash player
out, and it will only improve with time.

> I am most comfortable with Fedora, is there
> any other distributions that I should be considering.

Ubuntu!  I'm using Fedora, and it's really damned slick.  But Ubuntu
has a lot going for it.

--
Todd