[Cialug] encrypting a file

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Apr 17 15:16:32 CDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Colin Burnett wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Do you know a very easy way that I can encrypt a file on my Ubuntu
>> computer and send it to these two people who are Windows users?
>> Ideally it would be great if I could just use a pass phrase so that
>> if
>> they forget it I can just tell it to them over the phone.
>
> Aren't `zip -e foo.zip foo.txt` and winzip compatible?

Maybe, but you have to be careful about exactly what sort of
"encryption" your zip program uses -- the encryption in older versions
is seriously flawed and newer versions are not universally supported.

7zip might be usable though, as it supports AES-256 without any
possibility of fallback on to insecure algorithms (at least according
to the spec -- I haven't actually tested any archive utilities).

	Zach