[Cialug] encrypting a file

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Apr 17 15:16:12 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
>>
>> Do you know a very easy way that I can encrypt a file on my Ubuntu
>> computer and send it to these two people who are Windows users?
>> Ideally it would be great if I could just use a pass phrase so that if
>> they forget it I can just tell it to them over the phone.
>
> Aren't `zip -e foo.zip foo.txt` and winzip compatible?

Good question, is it? And is it secure? Is this different than a
password protected zip file? With those you can see the list of files
but when you try to open a file you have to enter a password. I read
some time ago that the password protection is not trustworthy (don't
remember why though).

--
Matthew Nuzum