[Cialug] encrypting a file

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Apr 17 14:51:07 CDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> Do you know a very easy way that I can encrypt a file on my Ubuntu
> computer and send it to these two people who are Windows users?
> Ideally it would be great if I could just use a pass phrase so that if
> they forget it I can just tell it to them over the phone.

I don't know if it's applicable to your situation -- if you just need
encrypted transport vs. encrypted storage, or if you have any external
resources to support the transfer -- but the easiest way I've found to
do zero-setup encrypted transfers is HTTPS. If you've got a web server
available that's suitable for storing these files you can get a
certificate for $30/year, slap up a password-protected download folder
and upload script, and just let their browser handle encryption for
them.

	Zach