[Cialug] screen for X

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri Apr 17 09:41:03 CDT 2009

Interesting. Just yesterday i was experimenting with x11vnc, which
shares the X desktop that is displayed on the physical console. x11vnc
doesn't seem to slow down the local display at all, but the remote
connection is noticeably slower than a VNC session that has its own
virtual desktop separate from the physical display.

Something that can be like VNC but at the app level might be very
useful--when i'm working remotely there are really only 1 or 2
graphical apps that i need. I only use VNC to emulate a full desktop
because if i take the simpler path of tunneling X applications over
SSH, the programs crash if the SSH session is interrupted.