[Cialug] Fedora 10 Networking

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:34:54 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Try using your built-in package manager to remove NetworkManager and
> make sure /etc/init.d/networking (not sure what package is associated
> with that) is enabled.  Maybe even force a re-install/re-configure of
> the /etc/init.d/networking packages to make sure they get "reset?"

A 'yum search NetworkManager' does find a package.  I don't know what
would provide the plain old network script, though.

I have no network now.  I don't know what it is I'm doing, because I
keep track of the changes I make, and they all *seem* reversible.  But
there's no apparent pattern to what gives me network and what doesn't.
 I deactivate and then activate, and start and restart and there's
just no love for a brother.

I've learned that there are two different GUI network configurators,
one for each init script.  There's "system-config-network" for network
and "nm-something..." for NetworkManager.  I just need a good
comprehensive primer on how it works.  The RedHat style init scripts
are funky to begin with.  Funky or archaic, one of the two.

--
Todd