[Cialug] Fedora 10 Networking

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 17:56:22 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone please explain to me how networking is supposed to work in
> Fedora 10?

NetworkManager vs /etc/init.d/network is (I think) dependent on
whether you choose a workstation/laptop install vs. a server install.
NetworkManager is the newer, end-user-friendly networking manager, so
it doesn't typically "activate" until a user has logged in to the box.
 Not ideal if you need to remotely power-cycle a box. . .

Try using your built-in package manager to remove NetworkManager and
make sure /etc/init.d/networking (not sure what package is associated
with that) is enabled.  Maybe even force a re-install/re-configure of
the /etc/init.d/networking packages to make sure they get "reset?"

> And, for bonus points, maybe how it's supposed to work for
> KVM?

Sorry, can't help w/ KVM, but perhaps re-installing the packages above
will "just make it work."

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night