[Cialug] This is Linux

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Wed Apr 15 12:17:34 CDT 2009

Colin Burnett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
>> Wow, that winning entry is awesome. I honestly can't think of a better
>> way or a better message to use to sell Linux.
>
> Except "freedom" in this context is meaningless to people who don't
> have a tangible relationship to it.

I agree this understanding is a key - just before the last software
freedom day, I'd gotten the packet o'swag at work, and after explaining
the basics, a coworker asked "who cares if it's Free?" (essentially).
then two days later, she asked why she couldn't play her itunes tracks
on her blackberry, and I didn't have the presence of mind to tie the two
together :(

-barry