[Cialug] This is Linux

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 11:08:18 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> Wow, that winning entry is awesome. I honestly can't think of a better
> way or a better message to use to sell Linux.

Except "freedom" in this context is meaningless to people who don't
have a tangible relationship to it.  It's a word.  You gave an example
of this:

> They didn't care
> about open formats or free licensing (for them the company paid for
> Adobe's Creative Suite so it was free).

The "freedom" doesn't mean anything to them.  I'm not disagreeing
about freedom but it's a catch: you have to want/need that freedom to
appreciate it.  I use Windows at work and its painfully hard for me to
use because I go home at night to linux.  I've drank the kool-aid so
the video makes sense to me and the people who picked it have also
drank the kool-aid.  To those that haven't, the video will be lost on
them.

I can with pretty strong confidence that that video won't get my
parents to try Linux.

Colin