[Cialug] Parted Feature

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 12:07:03 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not a problem, I say!  I'll just use parted!  So I fire up gparted
> from a Live CD and tell it to nuke /dev/sda1 and make /dev/sda2, which
> is /home, stretch to include sda1.  That'll give me a 60 GB /home.
>
> It's going *really* really slowly.  It's been running for 7 hours now
> and it says it has 10 hours to go.  Man, I don't know what that's all
> about.  But I'm a patient sort of person.  So I looked up parted
> online and notice that it says that one cannot move an ext3's start.
> Which is... exactly what I'm doing.
>
> OMG FEAR
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/features.shtml
>
> But it seems to be happy doing it, so maybe there won't be a problem.
> (No, I didn't backup first.)  Guess I'll just go to work and hope for
> the best when I get home.

Guess so.
This may not help now.., but couldn't you do a move operation first? I
don't think it has the same limitation as resize. If there isn't
enough space for what's in /home, I'd nuke sda1, move sda2 forward,
then resize the tail end of it back to where it was.
If there's enough space where sda1 was, make a new one, move
everything over at the filesystem level, kill sda2, resize the end of
sda1 out, then remount /home to it. The less for gparted to do, the
less chance of failure.

Don