[Cialug] [OT] Security and the browser

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:34:17 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> Prescriptivists will tend to think that language should be static and
> not change. I think prescriptivists probably would make better junior
> high language teachers since they are less accepting of "errors".
> Descriptivists who simply try to divine the existing rules of a
> language rather than enforcing some external rules are probably better
> at accepting the change of language over time.

Yeah, but then you have the people who say, "I just misused a word,
but that's okay.  It's a living language.  I just coined a new
meaning."  I believe there's some balance, somewhere, between the real
need for rules and standards to facilitate communication and the need
to break the rules sometimes, for the same reason.

> Perhaps slightly more on topic: so what does the word "hacker" mean?

"One that hacks"?  =)

-todd