[Cialug] Which network adapter?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue Nov 18 10:25:26 CST 2008

On Tuesday November 18 2008 09:48, John Lengeling wrote:
>How does vbox performance compare to VMware Player performance?

I've only used VMware Workstation, not Player. To echo previous posters,
VirtualBox and VMware Workstation seem very comparable.

I like VirtualBox because it is open source and thus cannot be taken
away either by cancelling the product or pricing it out of my budget.
But i actually have installed the closed version because it has better
USB and SATA support that i intend to use. Supposedly the extra
features in the proprietary version will slowly migrate over to the
open version, but if not and the proprietary version ever goes away,
migrating to the open version should be trivial (just reuse existing
virtual machines but without the extra features).

I've only tried VMware Workstation and VirtualBox on Linux. They both
have versions for other host operating systems, but i'm not sure if one
or the other is better on other hosts.