[Cialug] Which network adapter?

Theron Conrey theron.conrey at dice.com
Tue Nov 18 10:12:34 CST 2008

Thoughts below.

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-bounces at cialug.org [mailto:cialug-bounces at cialug.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Nuzum
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:06 AM
To: Central Iowa Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Which network adapter?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:48 AM, John Lengeling
<John.Lengeling at radisys.com> wrote:
>> How does vbox performance compare to VMware Player performance?   I am
>> currently using VMware Player just starting to look at using vbox.

>On a cpu with virtualization instructions such as Intel Core duo, core
>2 duo, xeon 5xxx series and many AMD64 cpus performance is great,
>though I've not done a side-by-side comparison. However vbox has
>seemless mode for running windows apps without running a windows
>desktop.

It's still running windows though, so you're system resources will still be effected, this is the case for both VMware and VirtualBox however.

> It also has folder sharing for Linux and Windows guests, so
>you can share folders on your hard drive with the guest OS.

I've mapped my desktop and personal folders with both applications successfully.  This is easy to do with both (GUIs)

>See http://code.bearfruit.org/~matt/tmp/moviemaker.png

>Plus, unlike the last couple versions of vmware I've used the guest
>extensions actually work on Ubuntu guests without having to hunt
>around on the web.

I've not run into any issues with Workstation or VirtualBox running on anything newer that 6.04
This is something I forgot as well.  Workstation 6.5 has an .rpm and a downloadable .bundle  for non rpm based systems.  You used to have to run a vmware-config.pl to get the modules built for the kernel, however in the 6.5 install, this is done for you from a pretty gui.  This works amazingly well with Ubuntu 6.10, as well as Fedora 9.

-Theron

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode